Friday, January 29, 2010

Calling

Author's Note - I wrote this after a walk I took through a prairie somewhere up north. The scenery was beautiful and really calming so it inspired me to write this poem.





















This moment, so fresh--
crisp;
serene and peaceful

Wanting this moment to last,
to last forever,
to never end,
never change

Slight breezes blow,
cool and soft --
but not changing the way the sun warms our skin from the cloudless blue sky

Hand stretched out to run my fingers through the tall grass --
soft brown --
reaching up to touch the edge of the sky

Long stems waving in the wind --
sending a friendly greeting to me;
the breeze sending a hello of its own,
weaving around me, through me

As we walk,
I look around me, seeing the trees on the other side of this sea --
pale browns and tans --
barren against the blue of the sky

Reminding me
of how,
as new things say hello,
others say goodbye

I look all around me --
really look at all that is surrounding me --
and can't help feeling the corners of my mouth pull upwards

For when I leave,
and return home,
and fall asleep tonight,
I will wake up
the calling that pulled me to this place,
this place of peace and serenity;
the promise of happiness,
joy,
will still be.

11 comments:

  1. When I read this piece, in my head I hear Mr. Johnson reading it, which is kind of weird but I guess I just see them as something Mr. Johnson would write. Thats a compliment. This is almost poetic and this writing is just flat out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! your such a mature writer and your voice is beautiful, when you wrote how u smiled, i did too, which sounds corny i know, but good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. A sense of peaceful calm, and real contentment washed over me while reading the selection. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really good! Your voice was awesome and I could get a really good idea of the setting. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading that. I liked the ending, it sounded really hopeful. I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You painted a beautiful and serene picture in my head, that was a very fun piece to read

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your poem. It created a peacful vision in my mind. Also it flowed very well. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn, great poem. As most people who commented on this said, it is very peaceful. It brings back to me so many memories from last year :). Thank you Autumn! And Morgan Patt, I totally understand what you are saying. Me too. It really does seem like something Mr. Johnson would read or write. Great job Autumn you have a really good skill of writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this. It's a really beautiful piece. It gave me a clear picture of what you were describing, and your voice was perfect. Good job Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really cool peaceful poem! This sounds like a good moment. You used good repetition and I like how the poem flowed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey can you like please fail at a poetry like once!? Because you are really too good at it. (: Love this poem and the picture is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete