Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter's Past

Author's Note - I wrote this night during a blizzard. I had walked outside and into the street, and then turned to look back at the house and saw my footprints in the snow. It was just a very magical moment that inspired me to write this piece.














For just this one moment
The whole world stands still
Me and the snow are the only things moving
I realize how beautiful the world is
When it is sleeping
And how wonderful it is
When the snow is cast for just one tiny second
Under a streetlamp
And how during that tiny second,
It turns gold

I notice
How even though the wind is blowing,
Sending whirlwinds of snow around me,
It never makes a sound
And how the snow is so clumsy in the air
Yet it never fails,
To land so gracefully
And to no avail,
Is quieter than the wind

My heart comprehends that,
With each step I take
Leaves another footprint
Behind me
An impression that seems so permanent
Yet, in the morning
This moment that seems so real to me,
Will be gone
Known to only me and the snow

When the people of this world wake up
The footprints long gone,
My past,
Lost in the snow's delicate beauty
And I will have left
Quieter, quieter
Than the wind and snow

4 comments:

  1. That was a really good poem. Everyone seems to like the whole one moment of perfectness. This poem flows together really nicely though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good poem as Derek said. You used great vocabulary. The second stanza really clicked. When you rhymed the 6th and 8th line the reader and in this case me was really connected, if two lines with a line in between them were to rhyme with the last word it could be very effective poem structure. Excellent work on this Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful scene! I love the word choice and how everything flows together so nicely. The ideas were clear and you can almost visualize it happening. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete